Monday, February 8, 2010

Identical Snowflakes

There are gigantic snowflakes falling in my part of the world today. We all learned in elementary science class that no two snowflakes are identical. I'm reminded of when I first found out I was expecting twins. I wondered if they were identical. Although identical twins have an incredible cuteness factor, part of me hoped mine would be fraternal instead. I wanted them to be treated as individuals, not a pair. Snowflakes aren't identical and neither are people, even if outward appearances imply it. After the girls were born, we quickly saw their individual personalities shine through, and it no longer mattered whether they looked alike or not. Piper loves to sing and bounce to music. She lights up whenever she hears a note. Riley is our little bulldozer. Nothing will stop her. She'll take on anything or anyone who tries to stand in her way. The girls are as different as night and day and didn't end up looking like each other at all. Most people do not realize they are twins.



One of my favorite movie quotes is from "What a Girls Wants" (2003): "Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out?".

I endeavor to be the best me I can be. My intention is to instill in my girls great value for their unique traits and talents. I want them to be so full of self esteem found in who they are in Christ Jesus, that they have no desire to follow the crowd or be compelled to fit in regardless the cost. The price to fit in is too high. It is the loss of one's individual identity and potential.

How do you celebrate your unique qualities and those of your family members?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback/comments