Wednesday, January 2, 2013

DIY Memo Board (No Cork Required)

I'd like to show you how I changed old wall art into a memo board (bulletin board). No cork boards were harmed in this project.

Once upon a time there was a large cafe/bistro framed picture. And as much as we loved it when we purchased it ten years ago, alas, like all fads, the bistro style for interior design had long since faded.

I decided to reuse the frame to create a bulletin board (memo board). I did not want to use a cork board in this project for two reasons. #1 most cork boards are expensive. #2 most (not all) cork purchased by the roll or square for DIY projects is so thin that once installed, it hardly holds a push pin.

I decided to go to the fabric store, 50% off coupon in hand, and buy one yard of 1/2 inch green foam. This is the kind of foam that is on a roll and is purchased by the yard, not the prepackaged foam which often is more expensive.

From the bistro picture I removed the glass and art but kept the cardboard backing and frame. I traced around the cardboard piece onto the larger green foam and cut out a piece of foam the same size as the cardboard.

Next, I simply wrapped leftover scrap fabric around the foam and used packing tape to secure it onto the back of the cardboard. I had a fabric layer on the front, foam layer in the middle, and cardboard layer in the back.

Finally, I placed placed it back in the frame and folded the little frame staples back down to keep the memory board in place. Viola! Total Price: $5.50 for the foam.

Oh, and push pins remain in this board because the foam is 1/2 inch thick.

Dining Room Before and After

This is how I changed my formal dining room from luscious red to aged faux.



I used these pictures found on Pinterest as my inspiration for technique (not color):

My husband used a roller to paint the ceiling with the Behr Paint in Shelburne Buff - full strength - not diluted and I worked on the walls. First I used Behr Paint and Primer In One (Benjamin Moore color in Shelburne Buff) diluted with water and Martha (Stewart) Living Faux Finishing Glaze (clear - no color).

I brushed that on using a 3 inch brush. Yes, I painted the entire room with a brush. I used mostly vertical strokes with some horizontal strokes too (no diagonals, no sponge, no swirls). I was going for a very specific look. I wanted the red to peek through so I wasn't trying to cover every bit of red color.


Next, I hand-brushed on a layer of brown glaze. I used Valspar Translucent Color Glaze in Mocha.

This shows the buff paint/glaze layer plus the Mocha glaze layer. I also glazed the crown molding with the Mocha glaze wiping most of it off and leaving the rest in the molding details.

Finally, I brushed on a few swipes of Martha (Stewart) Living Metallic Paint in Vintage Gold mixed with the clear glaze. I didn't want the gold to overpower the rest of the colors. It was just an accent brushed on here and there to create a little more drama and light reflection.

And we ended up with this:

So, to recap --

Before - I know the red is pretty, but the light remained off almost all the time. The room was a dark, cold space and we never used it.

After - This room is being transformed into my new sewing room. It's brighter, lighter, warmer, and inviting. I basically live in this space now and love it!