Friday, May 21, 2010

Couch to 5k - Day 1 and I Didn't Toss My Cookies!

I sort of committed to try out the Couch to 5K running program. Today was my first day and...oh, my! What a workout! Look how red my face turned! (ignore the fact I wasn't wearing a stitch of makeup). 



If you are interested in joining me in the Couch to 5K program, I have two websites for you to visit. First, you can download music with running/walking prompts all cued specifically for each week of the program which gradually takes you from couch potato to running 5K. This is all free, Baby! Download the podcasts or mp3s at http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/category-7.html. Also, visit http://c25k.com/ to see the details of how this running program works.

Today was day one and somehow I didn't toss my cookies. I didn't have the pleasure of going for a walk/jog on my own. I had to push this bad boy too!
This stroller with my three kids in it weighs 122lbs.

I didn't enjoy pushing the extra weight and my three year old, Sophie, didn't enjoy the ride. She kept whining the whole time. "Mommy, why is the dog chasing us! Mommy, are you going fast? Mommy, I'm cold (when it's 70 degrees outside). Mommy, I don't want to go this way! Mommy, I want to go to the park. Mommy, I want a drink. Mommy, She dropped her toy." ...and on and on and on!!!!! Doesn't she look thrilled to be doing this?


Plus, every time she wiggled around in an attempt to free herself, she'd throw the whole stroller out of balance making it even harder for me to run.

On the C25K program, you alternate intervals of walking and jogging. Day one is only 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds brisk walking to recover. The cue with the music went something like, "Now slow your jogging back down to a brisk walk to recover. I'll let you know when it's time to start jogging again. You should be able to feel the results of running by now, but should not be out of breath."

What?! Yep, I feel the results of running --if that's what you call what I'm doing. The results are sweat rolling down my back and pouring off my face and neck while my throat is as dry as a cracker. I'm gasping and panting so hard my daughter asks me what in the world I was doing?

Why would anyone want to do this?


Because Fit is Fabulous and it's swimsuit season!






So, are you in? Do you want to join me in the C25K program?


Race you to the fridge!



2 comments:

  1. Holy Moly! When you get a chance to run by yourself you'll feel FREE!!!! I can't believe you pushed all that weight. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! I started running about two years ago and did so well...until pregnany...and well now post baby I'm still not doing so hot keeping up with it! So you've totally motivated me! And I have NO excuse pushing my little ONE in the jogger when you're pushing THREE! Holy smokes! Just think of all the extra calories you're burning! :)
    I'll have to check out you're link and join in! Thanks for this post, it's what I needed! good luck and happy running!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback/comments