Thursday, July 7, 2011

Muffins So Good You'll Eat the Paper

I like using recipes from Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook Deceptively Delicious. Today I tried one of her muffin recipes and it was a big hit for all 5 of my family members. Never before have I had this kind of success. Usually, one or two of my kids won't like the recipe, but today we all wolfed these down . Sophie begged for a second muffin. While I was in another room Riley scooted a chair over to the counter and stole a second muffin. When I came back into the room, Piper was walking around chewing her muffin. I noticed she only had 1/3 of her paper liner in her hand. Upon inspecting her mouth, I saw she was chewing on the rest of her muffin paper! Now that's a girl who enjoys this recipe. This is a pretty healthful recipe with less sugar, oil, or butter than most recipes. One thing to note -- due to less oil or butter the muffins do tend to stick to paper liners. Next time I won't use them.



Applesauce Muffins (makes 12 - 16 muffins)

Topping
2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup firmaly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter

Batter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup carrot or butternut squash puree
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the ingredients for topping.
3. In a large bowl stir together batter ingredients
4. Spoon batter evenly into muffin tin and sprinkle with topping. Bake until done 18-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback/comments