Friday, March 5, 2010

Ribbon Lovie (Security Blanket) Tutorial

Six of my friends just had, or are about to have, babies. I decided to make each baby a ribbon lovie (security blanket). My own girls love the ones I made for them. They enjoy playing with the ribbon loops and rubbing their hands or face on the soft minky fabric. It makes a great gift for a newborn or a 1st birthday. My oldest daughter is almost three and still cuddles with her lovie all the time.

This project will take about 30 minutes (especially if you are snapping pictures and writing notes as you go - ha!)

You need two 11" by 14" rectangles of fabric. I used navy blue flannel for one piece and light blue ultra soft cuddle fabric (minky or chenille) for my other piece.


This lovie has fourteen ribbon loops around the outside edge. Cut fourteen lengths of ribbon, 4" each. I like to mix and match ribbon colors and widths, but always use grosgrain ribbon.


Pin ribbon loops onto the RIGHT side of ONE blanket piece matching raw edges of ribbon and blanket. I spaced my ribbons at the 2", 5", 8", and 11" marks for the fourteen inch side of the blanket.


Loops should be down away from the edge of the blanket.


I spaced my ribbon loops at the 2.5", 5.5", and 8.5" marks for the eleven inch side of the blanket.


Sandwich the ribbon loops between the Right sides of the two blanket pieces. Pin right sides of blanket pieces together. You should not be able to see any ribbons.


Using a 1/2 inch seem allowance, stitch around the perimeter of the blanket layers leaving a small opening for turning right side out. After you turn it right side out, sew the small opening closed. The finished blanket will be approximately 10" by 13".


Roll it up and tie it with a matching ribbon and name tag. Smile as you enjoy the adorable gift you just made. This lovie is for baby boy, Rhett. Only five more to go!

2 comments:

  1. so cute!! I wish I wasn't so intimidated by sewing! :/ someday..someday! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute idea and a great tutorial! Both of my girls have lovies - store bought though and not as cute ;). Our oldest daughter's has always been named Lovey for some reason and then she named her younger sister's Minky, because she heard me describing the fabric one time!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback/comments