Monday, November 29, 2010

Photo Updates and How to Lose Weight Over the Holidays

This Thanksgiving we loaded up our three little chicks and headed to Gordon, Nebraska, where my husband's family lives. Without kids it takes 13 1/2 hours to get there with limited stops, so with 3 kids, we broke the trip into into two days of travel. Sophie loved staying in the hotel and swimming in the pool.

The weather in Nebraska was mostly in the upper 30's during the day. We saw just a few flurries of snow. At night, though, the temperature dropped to -2 (not wind chill). I'm not sure how the farm animals survive such cold weather. Although you can't tell it in these pictures, our nose hairs were freezing as we breathed.













We enjoyed spending time with Judd's parents, visiting with his sister, her kids, and seeing two aunts and uncles. I ran to Gordon's grocery store and overheard the cutest thing. I was the last of three customers at the checkout. As I was leaving, I heard the bagger say to the checker, "Whew! We're having a morning rush!" Yes, small towns are different than cities. I would have never thought 3 customers were considered a "rush". Of course any visit wouldn't be complete without the fifty-mile trek to the nearest Walmart, where we picked up some items to make the World's Best Lasagna.


Unfortunately, our trip didn't go as planned. On our second day there Riley became ill with a stomach bug. Two days later Piper got it. Then, Judd's dad got it. Then, on our way back home it hit Sophie at the hotel. Not really the kind of "vacation" anyone was looking forward to. We only had 3-4 hours of sleep each night. We sure wish everyone would have felt better.




All are on the mend now, and we are reminded to be thankful for good health. And on the bright side, I had no appetite while tending to my kids, so we all lost weight over the holiday instead of gaining. I'm down 4 pounds this week. There's always a bright side.

And I don't want this post to be a downer, so I'm going to end it on a good note. These are some pictures of our kids at our church's Fall Festival a few weeks ago. We had a great time taking the girls on the carousel horses and letting Sophie play all sorts of games and ride rides.






 



1 comment:

  1. Your girls are so super cute! Love the matching skirts. Glad you're all on the mend now =)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback/comments