Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Homemade Kale Chips Recipe

I enjoy eating crispy, salty, crunchy, flavorful chips. That's exactly why chips are not allowed in my house. I show no restraint when eating them. Now I have a nutritious alternative which gives me the crunch and flavor I like in a chip, but is actually good for my body. Introducing... Kale Chips. Before you roll your eyes and think "Not gonna happen" consider just giving it a try. It only costs about $1.

Kale Chips

1 bunch kale (stems discarded and leaves torn into chip-size pieces)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon sea salt or 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix oil and salt in a bowl. Toss kale pieces in the oil mixture. Rub the oil mixture into each individual piece of kale. Place kale on two cookie sheets making sure no pieces overlap. If they do overlap they won't get crispy and will just steam. Bake in oven for about 9 minutes. Ovens vary and those variances show up with this recipe. Some people only bake their kale for 6 minutes or it burns. Others' ovens require the kale to bake for 20 minutes in order to get it crispy. In my oven it only took 9 minutes. You have to watch it closely. Mine didn't look crispy to me, but when I touched the kale with a spatula, it crumbled.

Kale is a nutritious vegetable high in vitamins A, C, K, manganese, and B6. Kale is rich in anti-oxidants, detoxifying enzymes, carotinoids, and high in fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback/comments